Special Educational Needs (SEN)


 Our Special Educational Needs and Disabilities School Information Report


He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking him in his arms, he said to them, “Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me.” Mark 9:36-37


Welcome to our SEND pages. We hope you will enjoy reading about the variety of ways in which St. Ethelbert’s is able to support SEND pupils to reach their full potential.

Our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator is Joanne Ritchie
Our Governor with responsibility for SEND is Elizabeth Furey.

At St. Ethelbert’s R.C School we welcome everybody into our community. We believe that our community should reflect God’s wish that every child is welcomed and should be provided with the opportunity to achieve his or her full potential.

Every student at St. Ethelbert’s has the opportunity to follow the National Curriculum.

We are committed to narrowing the attainment gap between SEND and non-SEND students. This may include short-term intervention learning or other learning interventions developed on an individual needs basis.

If your child has a disability and you would like to know more about what we offer at St. Ethelbert’s contact us on
01204 333036 or email us at:

General Information

We hope parents will find the information in this document useful. If there is anything further that you would like to know, please do not hesitate to contact the school office to request additional information.

What should I do if I think my child has a Special Educational Need or Disability?

If you have any concerns regarding any aspect of your child’s development, please speak initially to your child’s class teacher. Further discussions with the school SENCO and/or a senior leader in school may then be arranged, depending on the nature of the concern. If you have a concern related to a medical or health issue, then you may also wish to speak to your doctor or health visitor. Depending on the nature of a concern, referrals to other agencies may be made to identify the best way forward to support your child.


What is the school ethos/approach to SEN and Disability?

The school aims to support all pupils in making good progress as soon as they start at the school. We aim to have a fully inclusive curriculum, with pupils supported and challenged to achieve highly and to make good progress in all areas.

Pupil progress is tracked very carefully on entry in Nursery and/or Reception and high expectations of progress are set for all pupils. Early identification of any problem helps to ensure that appropriate support and interventions are put in place, so that all learners are able to access education at an appropriate level.


How will I know how my child is doing in school?

Parents are kept well-informed about their child’s progress. Parents are invited to attend parents’ meetings in the autumn and spring terms, where targets are shared and progress is discussed. Parents receive a detailed report on their child’s progress and achievement in the summer term and they are able to discuss this further if they wish to do so. Pupil passports are written for children who have special educational needs and these are discussed fully with parents and pupils. These are reviewed termly. Parents may also request information at any time regarding the progress of their children. Teachers will update parents if they have concerns

Children with Education Health Care Plan (ECHP) will have an annual review meeting where parents will be involved in discussions about reviewing progress and participate in the identification of new targets and actions as well as long term goals.


What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being ?

The school monitors pupil well-being carefully and plans to support pupils and their families in the best interest of each child. Class teachers have a responsibility to promote positive outcomes for pupils and they are obliged to act on any concerns that they may have regarding the well-being of a pupil.

In addition to the PSHCE curriculum which is taught to all pupils, the school supports individuals and groups of pupils in a range of ways, including through nurture groups and the use of 1-1 interventions with school staff or external agencies.


How will I be involved in discussions about, planning for, and involvement in, my child’s education?

Parents of children with special educational needs are fully involved in reviewing the progress towards agreed targets and in setting new targets. They are also kept informed of the provision for their child at school and staffs are always happy to discuss suggestions for how parents can best support their child at home.

Those children who have EHCP will have an annual review which will involve all agencies involved meeting to discuss outcomes and aspirations for the child.


How does the school involve children and young people in their education and in the decision making process?

All children are involved in setting their own targets for development, where this is appropriate.  Children are involved when pupil passports are reviewed and their ideas and aims are taken into consideration when any new plans are written. The school culture supports pupils in sharing any concerns and in discussing their wishes to support pupils in their development.

The voice of the child will be central to the discussions of EHCP.


Who, outside of school, can I turn to for advice and support?

The following service may be able to offer support and advice for parents:

Bolton Parent Partnership Service
Children’s Opportunity Group
Lowndes Street

Telephone 01204 848722


Other agencies are also available when referrals are made or further advice is sought.


Ladywood Outreach services

School Nurse

Social Care

Speech and Language Therapist

Occupational Therapist



Educational Psychologist


Where can I find information about Local Authority provision for children and young people with SEN?

The Local Offer is available on the council website or by following the link:



How should complaints regarding SEN provision be made and how will they be dealt with?

All complaints are dealt with in line with the school’s Complaint Procedure which is available on the website or by contacting the school office. Initially, parents are encouraged to raise any concerns with the class teacher to see if their concerns can be addressed. If parents are not satisfied, the complaint should then be referred to the Head teacher or the Chair of Governors, as outlined in the Complaints Procedure.


How do I get a copy of the school SEN policy?

The SEND policy can be found by following the link: 



Who do I contact for further information?

Mrs. Joanne Ritchie is the school SENCO. If you would like to discuss any area of concern with Mrs. Ritchie , please contact the school office to arrange an appointment.