Relationships and Sex Education
Love, Care, Share…
Love learning as friends;
Care for our community as neighbours;
Share our faith in Jesus as disciples.
What is RSE?
Relationships and Sex Education (RSE) is lifelong learning about physical, moral, social and emotional development. It is the understanding of the importance of marriage and family life, stable and loving relationships, respect, love and care.
At St. Ethelbert’s, in conjunction with BOSCEP (Bolton Schools Catholic Education Partnership), our mission is to educate our children with Christ at the centre, and thus all that we teach is focussed upon Catholic values and morals. We recognise each of our pupils as unique individuals, created in the image and likeness of God, and our curriculum reflects the Gospel values of our faith. Therefore, SRE is taught in the context of Christian relationships and virtues. SRE promotes children’s self-esteem and emotional wellbeing. It helps them to form and maintain worthwhile and satisfying relationships based on respect for themselves and for others, at home, at school and in the community.
Within a Catholic context, the purpose for teaching RSE at St. Ethelbert’s is:
- To engender growth in self-respect and self-worth recognising that each of us is created in the image and likeness of God
- To appreciate and understand the role of God our Father as creator of our world and the founder of productive and purposeful relationships
- To enable pupils to have an understanding that love, trust and faith is central to relationships
- To promote an appreciation of the nature, purposes and value of marriage and the family
- To enable pupils to have an understanding of themselves, their bodies and their emotional development
- To enable pupils to reflect and recognise the qualities that helps them to grow, develop and sustain positive and effective relationships
Delivery of SRE
RSE is delivered through the ‘A Journey in Love’ scheme, as recommended by Salford Diocese; the scheme is supplemented by appropriate content from the SCARF Scheme for PSHE. External agencies and healthcare professionals may also have an input, although always in line with our school ethos and the Church’s teaching.
RSE Programme content
An aspect of the mystery of love is taught in each year group; children are encouraged to marvel at the wonder and beauty of God’s creative love. This is reflected through a series of progressive and developmental tasks, activities and reflections which focus on physical, social, emotional, intellectual and spiritual development.
The following themes are studied in each year group:
- Nursery- Wonder at Gods’ Love
- Reception- God loves each of us in our uniqueness
- Year 1 –We meet God’s Love in our family
- Year 2 –We meet God’s Love in the Community
- Year 3- How we live in Love
- Year 4 – God Loves us in our differences
- Year 5 –God loves me in my changing and development
- Year 6- The wonder of God’s love in creating new life
Please follow the link below to view the school’s RSE Policy, based on the model from the Catholic Education Service (CES)